Make it Easier! #1:
May 30 2016
Having three kids is a full time job. I know I'm not the only one who sometimes gets overwhelmed with dinner and activities and kids homework and.... where is our personal time!?
At the start of every week, as far as dinner is concerned, I try to come up with a plan. I have developed little tips & tricks that truly make it easier on me. I want to reach out to other moms and help out by sharing these simple tricks in hope that it will make a difference for you as well.
If you can incorporate these in your routine, I am sure it will help you to get better organized and end up leaving you more time to indulge in something of YOUR choice. That is the dream!
Every Monday, I'll try to share with you a simple tip to make your life, well, more simple.
Here is my first tip: Brown Rice
- Brown rice is a healthy alternative to white rice.
- It is also an incredible gluten-free base for a wide variety of food types.
- Brown rice can take up to one-hour to cook, which is why it is often sold frozen.
- On Mondays, cook an entire bag of brown rice. (Remember, the perfect rice formula is 2:1 - 2 parts water for every 1 part rice)
- Set aside a portion of rice for Monday's dinner and freeze the remaining rice in a sealed ziplock bag. (You may need 2!)
The next steps:
- For the rest of the week, when you are in a hurry, you can grab rice from the freezer and defrost it to make a variety of recipes.
- To defrost, let the rice sit out in the bag until it reaches room temperature. Or you can simply sauté the frozen rice.
- Use the brown rice to quickly whip up:
- Fried rice
- A stir fry
- Top it with beans and avocado fora Mexican Style dish
- Incorporate it into a soup
- Use it as a base for any meat or vegetables
- Use it as a side
- Try a breakfast porridge
You can top brown rice with anything to make it good, but if you find the time to get creative, here is a link from my favorite site where you can discover some good brown rice recipes: https://food52.com/recipes/search?q=brown+rice
If you end up trying out this tip - please share your stories! I would love to hear how this goes for you.
Tune in every Monday for my new blog post on how to make it easier!